Over 10 years we help companies reach their financial and branding goals. Maxbizz is a values-driven consulting agency dedicated.




411 University St, Seattle


Canada is fortunate to offer access to a variety of benefit, credit, and incentive programs through the tax dependents system for its citizens.


Dependents and Caregivers Benefits in Canada

What is the Canada Caregiver Credit and Who Can Claim It?

If you are supporting a spouse, common-law partner, or dependent with a physical or mental impairment, you may be eligible for the Canada Caregiver Credit (CCC). The CCC is a non-refundable tax credit offered through the Canadian tax system.

The credit can be claimed for your spouse or common-law partner with a physical or mental impairment. Additionally, you may be able to claim the CCC for an individual who depends on you for support due to a physical or mental impairment, such as your child or grandchild, or your parent, grandparent, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, niece, or nephew (if they are a resident of Canada at any time in the year).

To be considered dependent on you for support, an individual must rely on you regularly and consistently for some or all of their basic necessities, including food, shelter, and clothing.


Are you eligible to claim the amount for an eligible dependent on your tax return?

You can claim this amount if you supported an eligible dependant whose net income was less than your basic personal amount or your basic personal amount plus an additional amount if they had an impairment in physical or mental functions, at any time during the year. If you meet the following conditions, you can claim this amount for one dependant on line 30400 of your return:

  • You did not have a spouse or common-law partner, or if you did, you were not living with, supporting, or being supported by that person.
  • You supported the dependent in 2021.
  • You lived with the dependent (usually in Canada) in a home that you maintained. However, you cannot claim this amount for a person who was only visiting you.

Moreover, the dependent must have been your parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, brother, or sister by blood, marriage, common-law partnership, or adoption, and under 18 years of age or had an impairment in physical or mental functions when you met the above conditions.


Understanding Child-care Expenses and Available Tax Credits in Canada

If you’re a parent who hired someone to take care of your child while you worked or went to school, you may be eligible to deduct those expenses and reduce your taxable income. This is great news for parents who want to ensure that their child is in good hands while they earn an income.

Moreover, there are many refundable and non-refundable credits available in Canada to help alleviate the cost of child-care expenses, including the Canada child benefit, the Goods and Services Tax/Harmonized Sales Tax (GST/HST) credit, provincial or territorial benefits, the Working Income Tax Benefit, the Ontario Trillium Benefit, the Ontario Senior Homeowners’ Property Tax Grant, the Canada Pension Plan (CPP), and Old Age Security (OAS). These credits are designed to support Canadian families and individuals and are based on different eligibility criteria such as income, age, and residency status.


How to Maximize Your Tax Return with Filing Taxes

Are you looking to maximize your tax return by claiming tax benefits for dependents? Our team of professionals at Filing Taxes can help you navigate through various scenarios and ensure you get the most out of claiming dependents, regardless of where you live in the country.

If you prefer to have a tax accountant file your return, simply book a call with our tax expert and we will take care of the entire process for you. Our experts at Filing Taxes are happy to assist you in maximizing your tax return.